Sunday, June 19, 2005

De Medici*

*Of Medics

Right, so, ob li da ob la da and all that, life goes on yadda yadda. Because of this inevitable fact, that time keeps ticking away my money, I have another education application under construction, so to say. Assistant pharmacist. Or whatever Anglosaxons call it. Do stuff at an apothecary. Yes, that's a typical girl job. Yes, I'll be surrounded by girls. Yes, I don't know if that's a good thing yet.

But what I really wanted to talk to you guys about, is hospitals. Hospitals today don't seem to generate the hospitality their name would imply. While hospitals had been generally for the good of the people, not so anymore. It's big business now ($€$). In the recent past, one would come to such an institution and be called a patient, yea, and be treated as one. Now however, it seems they're moving toward a more business-like approach. Patient = customer, hospital = company, doctors = employees. This is a very bad development, in my opinion, which the government - sadly - encourages by emphasising the importance of money in health care. Doctors and patients alike are vicitimised by these developments: doctors hobble from ski vacation to ski vacation, while becoming apathetic of the patient. The patient does not get the treatment they deserve. Not just because they are in fact a paying customer, but more importantly, because it is a doctor's moral duty to help a patient however he can. Money is of no importance in this. But Hippocrates' oath doesn't apply anymore, I suppose... and I quote:

Into whatever houses I enter, I will go into them for the benefit of the sick, and will abstain from every voluntary act of mischief and corruption; and, further from the seduction of females or males, of freemen and slaves.

Doctors aren't like this anymore. Leastways, most of them are in it for their own wallet. Yes. I'm sorry I have to say this, but it's true. The days that health care was based on care for your neighbour... are long gone. One of the many things that have changed over time, for the worse.

IN OTHER NEWS, to end this blog post positively, I won last Saturday's LOTROTCG Highlander tournament. Oh sure, only six people showed up, but it's still cool. For those who (think they) understand, read on. It got me a Mouth of Sauron avatar (very cool), physical Boromir HoO promo, and I got a foil Blood Runs Chill in one of my online boosters.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME.

Uh, yes, thank you, Bill... uh... Sky?

DOOR.

Ah, yes. By the way, it isn't my time yet, is it?

NOT YET.

Ah. Thank you. Er, bye then.

BYE. FOR NOW.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home